Tips for your Best Maternity Photos
Here are my top tips for having the best possible maternity photos:
- Schedule your photos between weeks 28 and 32. At this time in your pregnancy, your belly may be showing and hopefully you're not terribly physically uncomfortable, so we can walk and move a bit. Personally, I took my maternity photos at 29 weeks and am so glad I did; the more my pregnancy progressed, the more uncomfortable I became!
- Try on different styles of outfits to find the perfect fit. The hardest part about maternity photos is finding something to wear. Your body has grown and changed and shifted so much, it's hard to know what will look good on this temporary version of yourself. My suggestion is to order a ton of different styles - long and flowy, tighter and mermaid, off the shoulder and short sleeved, separate bottoms and tops - and try it all on. You never know what will look - and feel - good! Keep in mind that if something doesn't feel comfortable while wearing it, it'll show in the photos.
- Pamper yourself prior to the photos. Everything you're doing right now, you're doing in a body that's under construction, and that's okay! Let someone take care of you, whether that's getting a blowout or having your makeup done. They're professionals for a reason, and this is something you can do for you!
- Practice posing beforehand. Maternity photos are all about accentuating the belly, and that's something you can practice ahead of our session. Stand in the mirror and frame your belly a few different ways (hands below your belly, one hand above and one below, one hand on your back and one on top, etc.) to become comfortable.
- Bring props you'd like to include. Think about any items you'd like to remember from this stage of life. Maybe it's the sonogram, a pregnancy test, a personalized onesie or a bandana for your pet. Any of these can add a different layer to your shoot.